Geographic location:North end of Tongxiang City, Jiaxing City, Zhejiang Province
Famous scenery:Xizha, Dongzha, Former Residence of Mao Dun, Wuzhen Ancient Stage
Suitable for the play season:annual
Wuzhen Ancient Town is a national 5A level scenic spot, with 20 national golden week forecast spots and one of the six ancient towns in Jiangnan. It is located in the north end of Tongxiang City (county-level city) in Jiaxing City, Zhejiang Province, west of Nanxun District of Huzhou City, north of Wujiang District of Suzhou, Jiangsu Province, and the three cities of Zhejiang Province (Zhejiang, Jiangsu) (Jiaxing, Huzhou, Suzhou). ) The junction. Once known as Wudun and Qingdun, it has a long history of more than 6,000 years. Wuzhen is a typical ancient town in the south of the Yangtze River. It is known as the “land of fish and rice, the house of silk”. It has the beauty of Suzhou gardens and the wonders of the rabbit ear ridge meadow. In 1991, it was named as a famous historical and cultural city in Zhejiang Province. In 1999, it began the ancient town protection and tourism development project. Although the scenic spot Wuzhen has experienced vicissitudes of more than 2,000 years, it still preserves the original style and pattern of the ancient towns in the water towns. The wood carvings and stone carvings on the beams, columns, doors and windows are exquisite.
About 7000 years ago, the ancestors of Wuzhen lived in this area. At that time, it belonged to the Majiatun culture of the Neolithic Age.
In the Spring and Autumn Period, Wuzhen was the border of Wuyue. Wu Guo was stationed here to guard against the country, and the history was called “Wuhan.”
In Qinshi, Wuzhen belonged to Huiji County, with Chexi (now Jinhe River) as the boundary, Wudun in the west, Wucheng County in the west and Qingdun in the east. It was ruled by Boxing County and Wuzhen. Later, Wuzhen was under the jurisdiction of Huzhou and Jiaxing in Zhejiang, or was governed by Suzhou in Jiangsu.
In the Tang Dynasty, Wuzhen was subordinated to Suzhou. The back beam, belonging to the same, is the land of Wu Yue. After the Jintian Fu five years (940), set Xiuzhou, Qingdun is a suburb of Jiaxing County.
Song Yuhua three years (992), Wuzhen is Wucheng Lihu. Xi Ning ten years (1077), analysis of five townships such as Wutong, Yongxin and Qingfeng in the west of Jiaxing County belonged to Chongde County, and Qingzhen Township was in Qingfeng Township. In the early years of Yuanfeng, there were records of Wudun Town and Qingdun Town, and later it was renamed Wuzhen and Qingzhen. During the Jiading period, Jiaxing was the army, and Qingzhen was the Chongde Lijiaxing Army. In the second year of Baoqing (1226), Huzhou was changed to Anji, and Wuzhen was the Wucheng County of Anji. In the Song Dynasty, the town was set up to supervise the town officials, to control the fire ban and the liquor tax, and to recruit military martial arts to defend the bandits.
In the 14th year of Yuanzhiyuan (1277), Wuzhen was the Wucheng County of Huzhou Road, and Qingzhen was the Chongde County of Jiaxing Road. The town has a patrol inspection.
Ming Xuande five years (1430), analysis of Chongde County’s fundraising, Qianjin, Baoning, Qingfeng, Yongxing and Wutong six townships in Tongxiang County, Qingzhen, Zhijiaxing House; Wuzhen is still Wucheng Lihu Prefecture. This affiliation has not changed.
Since Wuzhen is the junction of two provinces, three provinces and seven counties, the public security environment is very complicated. Therefore, in the Ming and Qing Dynasties, the Zhejiang Provincial Branch and the Jiangsu-Zhejiang Branch were set up in Wuzhen, and the function equivalent to the residence was exercised in a small town.
In the first year of the Republic of China (1912), the two towns of Wu and Qing were still divided. In May 1950, the two towns of Wu and Qing finally merged, called Wuzhen, which belonged to Tongxiang County and was subordinate to Jiaxing.
In 1991, Wuzhen Ancient Town was named as a provincial historical and cultural city.
In March 1999, Tongxiang Municipal People’s Government issued Tong Zhengfa 1999 (26) document and established Wuzhen Ancient Town Protection and Tourism Development Management Committee.
In 2001, Wuzhen Ancient Town was listed as a preparation list for the United Nations World Cultural Heritage.
In 2002, Wuzhen Ancient Town passed the ISO9001 and ISO14001 international quality environmental management system certification, and was assessed as a national AAAA level scenic spot.
On April 9, 2010, Wuzhen Scenic Area was officially awarded the honor of China AAAAA level scenic spot.
In 2014, Wuzhen was designated as the permanent meeting place of the World Internet Conference.
Wuzhen is located at the northern end of Tongxiang City, west of Beijing-Hangzhou Grand Canal, west of Huzhou City, and Wujiang County of Jiangsu Province in the north. It is the junction of two provinces and three cities. On the land transportation, the county-level highway Yao Zhen line runs through the township. The Yaozhen Highway can be connected with the provincial highway Yanhu Highway, National Highway 320, 318 Highway, Shanghai-Hangzhou Expressway, Shenjiahu Expressway and Yujiasu Expressway. Wuzhen is 13 kilometers away from Tongxiang City, and is 27 kilometers, 45 kilometers and 60 kilometers away from Jiaxing, Huzhou and Wujiang. It is 80 kilometers away from Hangzhou and Suzhou and 140 kilometers away from Shanghai. The town area is 71.19 square kilometers and the urban area is 2.5 square kilometers.
Wuzhen is located on the southeast coast and is a typical subtropical monsoon climate. It is warm and humid, with abundant rain and abundant sunshine. It has the characteristics of short spring and autumn, cold winter and hot summer, warm spring and cool autumn, and distinct four seasons. The annual average temperature is 16.1 °C. The coldest in January, the monthly average temperature is 3.6 °C; the hottest in July, the monthly average temperature is 28.1 °C; the annual average precipitation is 1233.9 mm, there are 3 obvious precipitation periods throughout the year, namely April-May (Spring Rain), June-July (Mei Yu), August-September (autumn rain), it will snow in winter. Wuzhen has an average annual sunshine of 1842.3 hours. In the spring of the year, it is 78 days in spring, 90 days in summer, 64 days in autumn, and 133 days in winter.
Wuzhen Zhongshi and Dongzha tourist scenic spots run for 2 kilometers, consisting of Dongzha Old Street, Guanqian Street, Riverside Water Court and Gallery, from east to west to east, followed by traditional workshops and traditional residential areas. Traditional dining area, traditional retail area and water town style area.
Traditional cultural districts, the main attractions are Mao Dun’s former residence, Linjiapuzi, Lizhi Academy, Wenchang Pavilion, Xiuzhenguan, Shadow Theater, Stage, Hanlindi, Bamboo Carving Craft Hall, Jiangnan 100 Bed Hall, Yuliangliang Coin Hall, Huiyuan Pawn.
Former residence of Mao Dun
The former residence of Mao Dun is the only national key cultural relics protection unit in Jiaxing City. It is located at No. 17 Guanqian Street on the east side of Wuzhen City. There are two wooden structures in the four open rooms, facing south and facing a total area of 450 square meters.
Xia Tongshan’s old homestead
In the hall of Xia Tongshan’s old homestead, there is a portrait of an official, who is dressed in the Qing Dynasty official uniform and has a flower bed. His house is the grandfather’s family of Xia Tongshan, and there is also a story related to Yang Naiwu and Xiaocai.
Comprehension ancient stage
The stage is an auxiliary building of the Taoist temple. It was built in the 14th year of the Qing Emperor Qianlong (1749) and was repeatedly damaged as the statue of the truth. However, after the repair in 1919, it has been maintained until today. The stage covers an area of 204 square meters. The north side of Guanqian Street is opposite to the statue of Xiuzhen. It faces the Dongshi River in the south and Xinghua Bridge in the east. The stage is a mountain-style roof with a flying horn. The platform is two-storey, and the ground floor is surrounded by masonry. There are side doors and front doors. The side gates pass through the river, and there is a small ladder to the back of the ground floor. It can also be lowered from the river to the ship through the flap door. The front and rear sections are divided into two parts, the back part is a dressing room, the carved short window is spacious and bright; the front is the stage, facing the square.
Huiyuan pawn shop
Between Yingjiaqiao and Nanhua Bridge, the facade of the five-open room, upstairs and downstairs, 1.8 meters high counter. According to the records of Wuqing Township, there are 13 Buddhist monks in Dazhen and 7 in Taiping Heaven. In 1931, only Huiyuan was supported by one, and before the invasion of the Japanese invaders, the house was only allowed to go out, and soon it was closed. Since Huiyuan was closed down, the history of Wuzhen pawnshop has come to an end.
Jiangnan 100 Beds
It is the first museum in China that specializes in collecting and displaying ancient beds in Jiangnan. The locals also call Zhaojia Hall, covering an area of more than 1,200 square meters. It has received dozens of Ming, Qing and modern Jiangnan ancient beds. From the wealthy business to the very ordinary civilian people, all kinds of wooden beds are available, from one bed to one bed (with a dressing room, bathroom, servant room, etc.). There are both the luxury of the nobles and the simplicity of ordinary people.
China’s blue prints are world famous, and Wuzhen is one of the origins of blue prints. Hongyuan Taiyinfang was founded in the Song and Yuan Dynasties. The original site was in Nanzha. Qingguangxu moved here. It is a blue printing cloth production base and a distribution center for blue printed fabrics.
The number and scale of Wuzhen Street, Fang, and Lane are very small, commonly known as the four doors and eight squares and dozens of lanes. Eight Streets are Changchunli Street, Chengjiangli Street, Tongli Street, South Street, Zhongda Street, North Street, Guanqian Street and East Street.
The Fengyuan Double Bridge is also known as the Covered Bridge because it has a gallery. There is a water fence under the bridge, which is the entry point of the ancient waterway. Legend has it that the two bridges have the custom of male left and right women. When you walk through the bridge, you have to take the left and right halves, so you can walk around the bridge and you can talk about it.
Xizha consists of 12 small islands. More than 60 small bridges connect these small islands together. The density of rivers and the number of stone bridges are the highest in the country.
There are many “old foundations” in Xizha – the old streets are several kilometers long, the bluestone roads, and half of the houses are on the water. There are a few hand-made things to look at: First, the hand-made sauce workshop, the town’s braised cuisine tastes good, a large part is due to the self-produced soy sauce. The second is a cast iron pot, which is hand-cast. The third is silk, and the Yida Silk was founded in the early years of Guangxu. Visitors can personally operate on the old silk machine.
There are still some folk activities here. After the women’s dressing, they each took a pot of decocted medicinal herbs. When they crossed the bridge, they dropped the jars into the river. They thought that this would save the disease in the new year. In the modern era, the move of the drug cans disappeared, and the lantern walks into a festive amusement and blessing activity.
Located on the south bank of Xizha, Wuzhen, during the Jiajing period of the Ming Dynasty, a blacksmith from Huzhou came to Wuzhen Kaifang to operate.
The entrance is a four-sided corridor. The courtyard is in the middle of a huge “first pot in the world”. The diameter of the pot is about 5 meters. The mark on the bottom of the pot is “the first pot in the world, made in the same year.” It has already been closed for a long time, and it is only used by everyone to take pictures.
Into the gate of the college, there is a lot of empty inside, there is a stone archway under the shadow of the lamp, a stone on the top of the book has four big characters: “the six dynasties to win”, a stone plate on the lower side of the book a line: “Liang Zhaoming Prince and Shen Shangshu reading office.” Built in the Wanli Period of the Ming Dynasty, this stone archway was 3.75 meters high and 3.8 meters wide. The words “Liang Zhaoming and the Prince of Shenshangshu Reading Office” on the dragon and phoenix board were written by the criminals. The title, “Cultural Revolution” was overwhelmed by the people who were coated with lime. Behind the Shipai Building is an open garden. There are four eye pools in front of the park, surrounded by ancient trees.
Wang Huiwu Memorial Hall
The Wang Huiwu Memorial Hall displays many historical materials of Wang Huiwu. Only one statue of Wang Huiwu’s young women and a “one commemorative ship of the Chinese Communist Party” attracted the attention of tourists and the audience, and also wrote Wang Huiwu as “a big CCP.” “Successfully held the outstanding merits of escort.
Wang Huiwu was called the “Red Watchman”, “One David” and “A Behind the Scenes” immortal life.
Mao Dun Memorial Hall
The construction area of Maodun Memorial Hall is about 1000 square meters. It is divided into upper and lower floors. There are 59 pieces of Mao Dun relics, nearly 1,000 books and more than 90 pictures. Many of the materials are presented to the world for the first time. The whole exhibition hall is life. The road of the road and the road of literature are the main lines, showing the life of Mr. Mao Dun.
Mao Dun Cemetery
Mao Dun Cemetery covers an area of 2,150 square meters, which is the famous “Midnight” from Mao Dun. Not only the ashes of Mao Dun and his wife Kong Dejun were placed inside, but also the tomb of Chen Aizhu, the mother of Mao Dun.
In front of Mr. Mao Dun’s mausoleum, the first thing we saw was the bronze statue of Mr. Mao Dun, which was taken from Mao Dun as the image of the Minister of Culture. In front of the bronze statue is a tombstone carved with black granite. It is like an open book. The manuscript of the first chapter of “The Night”, “The Sunset”, is engraved on the page of the book. The tomb behind the bronze statue is placed in the grave. The ashes of Mao Dun and Mrs. Conde.
The entire mausoleum is a regular elliptical shape.
Herbal dyeing workshop
Hand-painted environmentally-friendly printing and dyeing drying large workshops. The drying site is paved with blue bricks, and the dense poles and stepped cloth racks are erected. In addition to the blue print fabric dyed by bluegrass as a raw material, the grass-colored color dyeing workshop also has a unique color baking process. Color roasting is rich in color, which is extracted from local grass materials. Tea leaves, mulberry bark and black eucalyptus leaves are the raw materials for extracting color. Therefore, this dyeing house is called the grass wood color dyeing workshop.
The Zhujia Hall is a house of a large family of Zhu in Wuzhen. People in Wuzhen like to call it the “hall hall”. In Wuzhen, there are many halls and houses of large families, such as the Xujia Hall and the Zhaojia Hall on the East Street. These houses have a unique architectural style and the halls are beautifully carved. Zhujia Hall not only brings together the characteristics of these large houses, but also is a unique hall in Wuzhen. It is characterized by “there are halls in the hall”.
Wuzhen is known as the “one view of the two towers and nine temples”. One view refers to the concept of comprehension of Dongzha. One of the two towers is the Bailianta Temple. Originally located in the north of Wujingtang in Wuzhen and west of Patio Lane, the local people like to call it the Xibao Tower. This is because it echoes the Shousheng Tower of Dongzha, so there is a saying of the East and West Pagoda in Wuzhen.
The water market in Xizha is called “Water Market”. In the morning, the morning fog has not yet dispersed, and the water city mouth is bustling and bustling. The eight ships have been filled with rivers. On both sides of the water pavilion, the teahouse, the butcher shop, the snack bar and the tofu booth have also unloaded the door panels early. The day of the water town opened the curtain. In the evening, the twilight enveloped the town, and there was a little light in the window between the water and the window. The teahouses, nightingales and barbecue shops on both sides of the water city mouth were full of fun.
In 2003, Wuzhen was included in the first batch of ten “Chinese historical and cultural towns” announced by the Ministry of Construction and Cultural Relics.
In the same year, Wuzhen was awarded the “Outstanding Achievement Award for Heritage Protection in the Asia-Pacific Region” by the United Nations.
In 2005, Wuzhen won the title of “The Favorite Tourist Attractions of European Tourists”.
In 2006, Wuzhen was listed in the “Preparation List of World Cultural Heritage in China” in 2001 and was included in the “China World Cultural Heritage Reserve List”.
In 2007, Wuzhen was awarded the title of “China’s Top Ten Ancient Towns” by the first China Tourism Forum.
In 2008, Wuzhen was rated as a strong tourist town in Zhejiang Province.
In 2009, Wuzhen won the “Eco-tourism Gold Award” from the Asia-Pacific Tourism Association and became the only scenic spot in mainland China to receive this honor.
In 2010, Wuzhen Scenic Area was awarded the title of “National 5A Level Scenic Spot” by the National Tourism Administration, becoming the fourth 5A level scenic spot in Zhejiang Province after West Lake, Putuo and Yandang Mountain.
The municipal government established the “Wuzhen Ancient Town Protection and Tourism Development Management Committee” to undertake overall planning, guidance, coordination and management. Under the management committee, Wuzhen Tourism Development Co., Ltd. was established to specifically undertake the financing and operation of funds, the implementation and control of protection and development according to the market economy operation mode, and the operation and management of the scenic spots after completion. At the same time, the expert team of Tongji University also completed the design of the Wuzhen ancient town building surveying and mapping, the overall protection plan, the detailed rules of the historical blocks, and the construction plan of the key ancient buildings.
On September 19, 1999, the “Moving Town Mobilization and Tourism Development Phase I Project Relocation and Mobilization Conference” was held. On September 23, the Dongshi River began to seal the dam, and the repairing and cleaning mud project was fully launched. On October 14, the first pile of the Yingjiaqiao restoration project was laid. On November 2nd, the image of the nearly 200-meter sample section of the first phase of the project was presented, and the first Chrysanthemum Festival of Tongxiang City was greeted.
On November 17, the second phase of the first phase of the project was launched, including visits to Luge, the northern section of Changfeng Street, the southern section of Changxin Street, the western section of Guanqian Street, the repair of the Zhenzheng Square and the restoration of the Hanlin House.
In accordance with the standards of “the most thorough protection, the most complete function, the most beautiful environment, and the most scientific management”, the second phase of protection and development is implemented according to the characteristics and functions and the misalignment of the first phase (Dongzha) scenic spot.
Practices such as repairing old buildings, burying pipelines, excavating local traditional culture, over-commercial control, and selecting modes of management and operation are all examples of pioneering or successful operation in the protection and development of ancient towns in the country, and are praised by UNESCO experts. Wuzhen mode.”
Travel practical information
East shed 110 yuan / person
West shed 150 yuan / person
East-West Union ticket 190 yuan / person
Summer time (7:00-18:00)
Winter Order (7:00-17:30)
There is no railway station in Wuzhen. You can take Tongxiang or Jiaxing and transfer to Wuzhen.
Road passenger transport
Departing from Shanghai
There are fewer trains. Generally, you can take a bus at Shanghai South Long-distance Bus Station. The departure time is 9:50 and 15:25 every day. The journey takes about 2 hours.
Departing from Hangzhou
Hangzhou East Bus Station has 14 flights to Wuzhen from 6:25 to 16:25 every day.