Geographic location:Shigatse, Tibet
Famous scenery:Exhibition of Buddha, Damai Hall
Suitable for the play season:Suitable for all seasons, best in summer
The Tashilhunpo Monastery means “Auspicious Shoumi Temple”, the full name is “Zashundbu Baiji Deqin Qu Tang Tang Nan Baja Wahlin”, meaning “Auspicious must be gathered in Fuzhou to win the Fangzhou” . Located under the Nissan Mountain in Shigatse, Tibet. It is the largest temple in the area.
In the 12th year of the Ming dynasty, the Tsongkhapa disciple was built by Gen Dun. The latter four Panchens, Luosang and Jijian, praised the expansion. In the temple, the hall of the wrong Qin can accommodate 2,000 people, and there are statues of Sakyamuni in the temple. There are statues of the Lord and the Fourth Panchen on both sides. On both sides of the main hall are the Maitreya Temple and the Dumai Temple. On the west side of the temple is the Damai Hall, which is 30 meters high and magnificent. In addition, the Panchen Temple of the Panchen Lama has a fleshy body. The temple has four Zha Cang (the scholastic), and the teaching is both important and heavy.
The Tashilhunpo Monastery is comparable to the Potala Palace in Dalai. It is the “four major temples” of the Gelug Sect of Tibetan Buddhism, together with the “Three Great Temples” in Lhasa, Gandan Temple, Sera Monastery, and Drepung Monastery. The Four Great Temples and the Ta’er Monastery in Qinghai and the Labrang Monastery in Gansu are listed as the “Six Great Temples” of the Gelug Sect. The structure of the building has also profoundly affected other Tibetan Buddhist architecture such as the Five Calls.
Tashilhunpo Temple is one of the six famous Yellow Temples in China. One of the national key cultural relics protection units. In August 2017, it was approved as a national 5A tourist attraction.
The Tashilhunpo Monastery covers an area of 150,000 square meters and is surrounded by a palace wall. The palace wall is along the mountain and has a circumference of more than 3,000 meters. There are 57 halls and 3,600 houses in the temple. The whole temple is built on the hillside, with mountains attached to the north, and the north is sunny. The temples are successively connected, dense and balanced, harmonious and symmetrical.
The most magnificent building of the temple is the Temple of the Great Maitreya and the Temple of the Panchen Lama. The Maitreya Temple is located on the west side of the temple and is 30 meters high. It is dedicated to the Maitreya statue that was built in 1914 by the ninth Panchen Lama.
The temple has four Zhacang (academy) from Sanlin, Xia, Ji Kang and Aba. In addition, the Shilundian, the Yinjingyuan, and the Hanfotang are also quite large. The Han Fotang was built during the Seventh Panchen Lama, and the Tang Dynasty presents the gifts of the Qing emperors to the Panchen Lama. The huge portrait of the Emperor Qianlong was hung upstairs. The partial hall was the living room where the Qing Dynasty ministers and Tibetans met. In addition to a large collection of gold and silver jade articles, the hall also preserves important cultural relics such as seals, Buddha statues, porcelain and fabrics.
The earliest building for the temple. There is a 500-square-meter lecture hall in front of the temple, which is the place where the Panchen Lama speaks to the whole temple and tells the scriptures. At the same time, more than 2,000 people can chanting in the main hall. In addition to Sakyamuni Buddha and his great disciples, the statues of the offerings are also engraved with statues of the monks and the four Panchens on the two sides of the temple; there are Tsongkhapa masters and eighty sorghum statues.
That is, the hall of the wrong Qin, the earliest building of the Tashilhunpo Monastery, was built over twelve years. In front of the Great Hall, there is a 600-square-meter lecture hall, which is the place where the Panchen Lama is a lecturer and a deaf person. On the four walls of the plaque, there are Buddhist ancestors who have caves carved into the cave wall, four kings, eighteen arhats, and a thousand Buddha statues of various shapes and eighty Buddhist monks and various flying fairy goddesses and bodhisattvas. In the Great Hall of the Tang Dynasty, forty-eight Zhujiu pillars stand tall and stand tall, and the throne of the Panchen Lama is in the middle of the temple. On the left side of the main hall, in 1461, the large Buddhist temple expanded under the support of Aliguge Wangjue Wuzha, in which a 19-meter-high Maitreya Buddha statue was created, the Buddha’s facial form charity and harmony, dignified and quiet, by Nepalese craftsmen and Tibetan artisans completed together. On the right side of the hall is the Tara Temple, which houses a two-meter-high bronze statue of the White Tara, with green statues of clay sculptures on both sides. Inside the hall is paved with schist in the Himalayas, and the whole environment is filled with a strong atmosphere of practice.
Jia Na La Kang
It means “Han Fotang”, a Buddhist temple that is rarely seen in other temples in Tibet. Inside the temple, there are many gifts such as Yongle ancient porcelain, gold and silver wine cellars, tea dishes, jade utensils and textiles that the emperors presented to the Panchen Lama. At the earliest, there were nine bronze statues of the Tang Dynasty. According to legend, Princess Wencheng brought them into Tibet. Later, there was a bronze statue of a naked female figure on the wild boar during the Yuan Dynasty, and a gold seal given by the Qing emperor to the Panchen Lama with a weight of 16.5 jin, which was written in three languages: Han, Mongolian and Tibetan. In addition, there are gemstone beads, seal books, scrolls, and so on.
There is a meeting hall of the Qing Dynasty ministers in Tibet and the Panchen. In the main hall, the Emperor Qianlong of the Qing dynasty wore a large portrait of the scorpion and the Falun of the hand. Like the tablet of the emperor of Daoguang, it was written with the words “Long live the emperor of Daoguang”. Every time the emperor squats, the Panchen will be blessed before the emperor’s tablet. The cultural relics in the Han Fotang, it is self-evident proof of the affiliation between the Tibetan place and the central courts of the past.
Qiangba Buddha Temple
On the west side of the Tashilhunpo Monastery, there is a grand temple. This is the Temple of the Strong Buddha. The Tibetan language is called Qiang Ba Kang. There is a statue of the strong bronze Buddha in the strong bar, which is the most eye-catching. The main hall was built in 1914 and was built by the ninth Panchen La Quinima. The Qiangba Buddha Temple is a five-story hall with two cloisters below. The temple is 30 meters high and the building area is 662 square meters. The temples are all made of stone, and the seams are dense and solemn. The entire Buddhist temple is divided into four steps, and the layers are gathered higher. Each level of the top corner of each class is a male master. The upper temple is decorated with copper bells, and the temple is decorated with copper pillars and gold domes. It is magnificent and magnificent. In front of the temple of Qiangba Buddha, the scripture stood tall and pointed to the sky. Qiang Bhawan sits on a lotus pedestal up to 3.8 meters, facing south, overlooking the temple. The Buddha statue is 26.2 meters high, shoulder width 11.5 meters, foot board length 4.2 meters, hand length 3.2 meters, middle finger circumference 1.2 meters. With an ear length of 2.8 meters, it is a treasure in the ranks of giant sculptures and the tallest and largest bronze Buddha statue in the world. Casting this statue of Buddha, the 110 craftsmen, took 4 years to complete. A total of 6700 gold and 230,000 kilograms of brass. There are more than 1400 diamonds, pearls, ambers, corals and pines inlaid in the image of the Buddha’s eyebrows. There are more precious decorations.
Qiangba Buddha is the Maitreya Buddha of Han Buddhism. In Tibetan Buddhism, Qiang Bufo is the future Buddha in charge of the future, so it is highly valued by believers.
The spiritual tower of the Tashilhunpo Monastery is the stupa of the Panchen Lama. There are 8 Panchen Lama Towers built in the Tashilhunpo Monastery. In the “Cultural Revolution”, the 5th to 9th Panchen Lama Temple was destroyed. From 1985 to 1989, the 10th Panchen Lama rebuilt a hall of the funeral spirit tower for the 5th to 9th Panchen Lama, named “Zashnanjie” (auspicious heaven). The Spirit Tower of the 4th Panchen Lama was rebuilt in the spirit hall of the original Fifth Panchen Lama in the 1970s. The temples of the First and Third Panchen Lama were not built in the Tashilhunpo Monastery. The first Panchen Lama was the third Chiba (abbot) of Ganden Monastery. After the death, the Lingta was built in Ganden Monastery. The second and third Panchen students were formerly the Ngong Temple (now Kazakh Jiangdang Township), and their spiritual towers were built at the Ngong Temple.
It is the Temple of the Spirit of the Fourth Panchen. The spirit tower of the 4th Panchen Rosanne Quji (1567 – 1662) was very luxurious, thanks to his great contribution to the Tashilhunpo Monastery. When the Tashilhunpo Temple was first built, there was only the Great Hall. The next layer. The scale is not large, and there are not many monks. During the 4th Panchen Lama, the Great Hall was expanded to the third floor and other temples were built. This is the largest expansion of the Tashilhunpo Monastery. It is a teaching of the Dharma. The expansion of the influence of Zash has played a positive role. Later, after the expansion of the Panchen Lama, the scale was formed. The 4th Panchen Lama lived 94 years old. As a result of his outstanding contribution to the Tashilhunpo Monastery, the gangsters built this luxurious temple of the Spirit Tower to commemorate him. This Lingta Hall, built in four years and 130 days, was built in 1666. The tower is 11 meters high, costing more than 2,700 gold, 33,000 silver, 78,000 pounds of copper, and 9000 feet of satin. In addition, there are more than 7,000 corals, pearls, agates, and pines, which are colorful and glory.
The 5th to 9th Panchen Lama Temple, “Zash Nanjie”, was held from January to August 1989, and lasted for three years and eight months. The total construction area was 1933 square meters and the height was 33.17 meters. The height of the tower is 11.52 meters. The tower body is wrapped in silver and covered with jewels. The carvings are gorgeous and the style is solemn. The interior decoration is also very elegant and numerous. The 5th to 9th Panchen Lama is divided into 5 sandalwood boxes and placed in the bottle of the Spirit Tower. Ling Tower The bronze statue of the ninth Panchen La Quinima is placed in the middle. The walls around the main hall are painted with murals of famous sorghum performances of various sects of Tibetan Buddhism. The construction of this spiritual tower has received strong support from the central and provincial governments and relevant departments. The 10th Panchen Lama once said: “The completion of Zash Nanjie is the crystallization of the common work of the Tibetan and Han people. It is the concrete manifestation of the patriotic spirit of the vast majority of the Tibetan people and is a symbol of the unity of the Tibetan and Han nationalities.”
It is the tenth world Panchen Erdeni. The master was a great patriot of China, an outstanding leader of Tibetan Buddhism in China, and an honorary president of the Chinese Buddhist Association. On January 28, 1989, he died during his inspection in Shigatse. In order to express the people’s memory of the Panchen Lama, on the third day after the master’s death, the Party Central Committee and the State Council decided to build a master’s body in the Tashilhunpo Monastery for people to pay homage to and worship his patriotic love. Performance. After many on-the-spot investigations, demonstrations and designs, on September 20, 1990, the foundation stone was laid. In order to build the Lingta Temple, the state allocated 64.24 million yuan, 614 kilograms of gold and 275 kilograms of silver. During the project, people from all walks of life and the masses also actively supported the construction of the Lingta Temple, participated in voluntary labor, and volunteered donations. After three years, on September 4, 1993, the tenth Panchen Erdeni, Jijijian, the Master Lingta Temple Opening Ceremony was held in Tashilhunpo Temple. The “Relief Nanjie” hall in front of the world, with a total construction area of 1933 square meters and a height of 35.25 meters. The main body of the temple is made of reinforced concrete frame structure in modern buildings. The walls are made of granite and the wall thickness is 1.83 meters, which meets the requirements of octave fortification. The entire building is based on the ancient Tibetan religious architectural style, which absorbs the architectural and artistic features of the Tang and Qing Dynasties and the architectural form of the Buddhist spiritual tower. The temple consists of two major architectural parts, red and brown. At the top of the temple, it is covered with gold domes with ethnic and religious characteristics. The Lingta area is 253 square meters and the tower height is 11.55 meters. The tower is wrapped in gold skin and jewels are placed in it. A total of 818 jewel bags are placed, with a total of 6694 pieces of 24 kinds of jewels.
Dumu and Duma Temple
“Tengmu” is the incarnation of the Guanyin, which is difficult for the world. It is worshipped by Tibetan Buddhism. The Maitreya Temple, the Tibetan language is “Strong Bakang”, built in the next five years (1461), and the Buddha statue for the Miqin is 11 meters high. It is made by the Tibetan artisans. The two sides are the Guanyin of Gendarzhu. And Manjushri like. It is the oldest statue of the Tashilhunpo Monastery. In the Hall of the Maitreya, the statue of the gilt bronze Maitreya, which was hosted by the 9th Panchen Zena in 1914, is 22.4 meters high, the rosette is 3.8 meters high and the total height is 26.2 meters. When making this image, it used 115,000 kilograms of copper, 279 kilograms of gold, more than 300 pearls, more than 1,400 precious stones such as coral, amber and pine ear, and only one large diamond was set in the eyebrow of the big Buddha statue. There are 30 large diamonds, more than 60 pearls and other precious stones. It is the largest bronze Buddha statue in the world. Located in the eastern part of the temple, there are 7 Lingta Temples, the most famous of which is the Zhigan Xia Temple. The 4th Panchen Lama Tower was built in the first year of Qing Emperor Kangxi (AD 1662). The tower is 11 meters high, with gold and silver as the base and silver skin. Wrapped in a jewel, jade, etc., the fourth Panchen Lama remains in the tower. The murals on the inner walls of the temple are mainly composed of biographies, ritual Buddha figures, and eighteen arhats.
The temple is located on the east side of the three Buddhist temples behind the temple hall. The three Buddha temples are centered on the Sakyamuni Hall, and on the west side is the Maitreya Hall. The Sakyamuni Hall is more than 5 meters high. Like, it is said that there are bucharests in the body, as well as the hair of Zongluba and the skull of the roots of the teacher of the Pearl. In the Tibetan language, the Tibetan language is called Zhuomacon, for the bronze statue of the white mother of 2 meters high, and there are green elephants of clay sculpture on both sides.
The founder of the Tashilhunpo Monastery was Gendun Juba (Gendon Lord, 1391 – 1474), which was later traced back to the First Dalai Lama. In 1447 (the 12th year of the Ming Orthodox), Gendun Juba commemorated his dead masters and hired Tibetan and Nepalese artisans to make a bronze statue of Sakyamuni, which is 5 meters high. After the cast, Ghent Zhuba built the Tashilhunpo Monastery to worship Buddha statues with the support of the Houzang nobles Qu Xinglangba Suolang Baisang and Qiongjieba Sulangban. The temple was called “Gang Jian Dian Pei”, which means the snowy temple of Xingfo. The temple was built in September 1447 in the Tibetan calendar. One year later, the first Buddhist temple, the Shakyamuni Temple, was built. Later, the Zuchin Hall for the monks to practice and chanting, and the La Changu Palace for the living of the temple, as well as the general shacks, were built. By 1459, the Tashilhunpo Monastery had begun to take shape, with five large and small Buddhist temples, 12 Buddha statues and nearly 200 monks. After the temple was built, Gendun Juba was appointed as the first legal platform, and successively built the Tantric Buddha Hall, the Great Classical Courtyard, and the Exhibition Buddha Hall. The large and small Buddhist temples were increased to 7 and the Buddha statues were up to 53 statues. The paintings and stone carvings on the four walls of the field are about 2,000. In the temple, the three major Zhacang (the brothel) of Tie Sanglin, Xialhao and Jikang were established. The temple has more than 1,600 monks, and the source is in Houzang, Ali, and Nepal and Kashmir. The Tashilhunpo Monastery became the fundamental dojo of the Gelug Sect.
In 1601, the fourth Panchen Lama, Rosanne Khan, was praised (1570 – 1662) as the 16th Chiba (abbot) of the Tashilhunpo Monastery. As he reorganized the temple wind, he went to various places to talk about the scriptures, raise funds, and expand the temple. In the sixty years of his main temple, in addition to rebuilding and expanding the old temples, more than 10 new and large halls were built. He also personally collected copper, iron and gold foil from Lhasa and other places and built two Jinwa Temples. In 1607, he created the Aba Zhacang, which specializes in Tantrics, and established a complete system of learning and understanding in the temple. Due to the painstaking efforts of the master of Luosang Qufu, when he was alive, there were more than 5,000 monks in the temple, and there were more than 3,000 rooms; there were 51 temples and more than 4,000 monks; there were more than 10 tribes in Zhuang and pastoral areas; The largest monasteries in the post-hidden temple have achieved the same status as the three major temples in Lhasa.
Since the 4th Panchen Lama, the Panchen Lama has become the legal platform of the Tashilhunpo Monastery. During their term of office, they have repaired and expanded the temple. The main buildings and institutions built during this period include the Printing House, the Time Wheel, the Jiana Lakang (also known as the Han Buddha Hall), the Qiangba Buddha Temple (Future Buddha Hall), the Voldemort Pagoda and the Buddhist Temple. There are many halls and halls. Since the death of the Panchen Lama from the 4th to the ninth, they have built the Ling Tower to preserve the flesh and build the Golden Summit Hall for the Ling Tower. Unfortunately, in the Cultural Revolution, most of these beautiful buildings were destroyed. In 1984, the state allocated funds for reconstruction. Under the auspices of the 10th Panchen Lama, Ji Jijian, the 5th to 9th Panchen Lama’s funeral pagoda and the temple were completed four years ago and named the Panchen Dongling Zash Nanjie (auspicious victory).
Collected cultural relics
There are many cultural relics in Tashilhunpo, including the Golden Spirit Tower. The Jinling Tower is very rich in storage. According to the religious rituals, the entire Lingta is divided into upper, middle and lower layers. The lower layer is filled with barley, wheat, rice, tea, salt, alkali, various dried fruits and sugar, sandalwood, various herbs, various satin, golden saddle, rhinoceros horn, silver treasure, jewelry, master 袈裟 and Tibetan Installed. The middle layer is filled with the classic works of the Three Masters of the Tripitaka and the Gelug Sects, as well as the classic works of the Panchen Lama, the works of the Panchen Lama of the past, the Bayeux, and the Buddhist scriptures written in golden juice. Buddhist scriptures and Buddha statues are placed on the upper level of the tower. The body of the 10th Panchen Lama is placed in the center of the Futian of all beings, surrounded by various religious items such as 袈裟, Thangka, Buddha, and scriptures.
In the Damai Hall, the Maitreya statue is enshrined. The total height is 26.2 meters. The brass is shared with 231,400 kilograms and the gold is 6,700. It is only inlaid with two eyebrows. It uses more than 1,400 diamonds and pearls. This is the largest bronze Buddha statue in the world. The Panchen Lama has a different size, and the tower is decorated with pearls and jade. Each of the towers ignites a number of butter lamps of varying sizes, which are not extinguished all year round. The tower houses the relics of the Panchen Lama, and the tenth Panchen Lama is the most luxurious.
There are many ancient Tibetan classics on the four-walled bookshelves of the Shilundian Temple, which are used to statues of Tsongkhapa and his first disciples, Jia Caojie and Kezhujie. The Printing House houses a printing plate of famous Buddhist scriptures and Biography of the Panchen Lama. Among them, the Tsongkhapa Biography of more than 30 volumes is the most famous and widely spread.
Exhibition Buddha Festival
The exhibition Buddha Temple is located in the northeastern part of the Tashilhunpo Monastery. It was built by the Dalai Lagan Dunzhu to commemorate the birth of Sakyamuni, became a Buddha, and Nirvana. Later, it was built by the 4th Panchen Laosan Quji. Built in 1468 AD. Every year, three days before and after the May 15th of the Tibetan calendar, a grand exhibition of Buddha activities is held at the Tashilhunpo Monastery. The original Buddha (the Buddha of the Immaculate Buddha), the Buddha of the present (the Sakyamuni Buddha), and the Buddha of the Future (the strong Buddha) The three large-scale embroidered Buddha statues are hung on the sunny side of the exhibition platform with a height of 32 meters, a platform width of 42.5 meters, a width of 38 meters and a thickness of 3.5 meters. The monks and religious believers must pay homage to the Hada, and pray for the Buddha. The disaster relief has reduced the good fortune.
The Buddhist temple of the temple is unique, and the temples of the Yellow Church in Tibet are unique. It is a major feature of the temple.
There is also a large landscape in the Tashilhunpo Monastery, that is, many unowned dogs are gathered here. It is said that this is a release dog. In many temples in Tibet, you can see the release of sheep and release chicken. They lie in the sun leisurely and get along with others.
The murals of the Tashilhunpo Monastery are also very distinctive. Their forms are varied, the colors are dazzling, and the pens are delicate and meticulous. It is another masterpiece of Buddhist art.
Pay attention to the prevention of altitude sickness, it is recommended to take Rhodiola since taking the week before going to the plateau.